Product Development Manager
Planning and implementing the overall research and development strategy for product developments and enhancements and ensuring that all relevant technical detail is up to date.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- To establish a vision and strategy of innovative and margin enhancing improvements within the core sectors of the business.
- To establish a product development plan which maximises the life cycle of company products and company differentiation against competitors within our target sectors.
- To be responsible for the product management of existing products so that competitive advantage is achieved and the company benefits from delivering quality products at a competitive price.
- To ensure that all developments are on target for release date and a robust costing and pricing structures are in place.
- To be accountable for continuous production by ensuring that product enhancements are communicated effectively to the Production Manager and that training is carried out to all relevant departments.
- To contribute to quality and commercial services of the business by the dissemination of technical knowledge whenever appropriate.
- Collect, understand and record market and competitor information with a view to using this to the competitive advantage of SWS UK.
- To monitor sales trends and customer input to develop a plan of future developments.
- To ensure that all product enhancements meet with legislative and standard requirements and that patent opportunities are registered.
- All product risk assessments are completed and recorded.
- To liase with sales and marketing regarding literature and technical documentation.
- To ensure that technical files are in place and up to date.
- Product Development meetings are held regularly to ensure the effective communication and feedback of the plan to all departments.
- Work instructions for all product enhancements are generated and up to date.
- To liase with IT to form a specification for the implementation of product enhancements into Opera and CSM.
- To liase with Purchasing to ensure that all stock requirements and drawings are communicated within the timescale indicated on the plan.
- A training plan is in place for all staff and customers relating to the implementation of product enhancements.
To be successful in this role you’ll have:
- Have gained at least 3 years of professional experience in Product Development.
- Mechanical Engineering Qualification, including knowledge of Solid works
- Have the know-how in process development in a manufacturing company and good methodological skills,
e.g. in Lean Management, 8D Report, FMEA, etc
- You have experience in project management and an analytical and innovative mindset.
- Your strengths include organizational and coordination skills, problem-solving competence and an independent and structured way of working.
- Your distinctive communication skills and willingness to cooperate distinguish you.
- Be flexible and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with aggressive and dynamic timelines
- Have the ability to collaborate, facilitate and support standard practices across multiple departments.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Independent thinker that uses own initiative
- Organised and efficient with excellent problem solving skills
- Great attention to detail